MP4 Nation Forums
MP4 Nation Store - MP4 Nation Blog - MP4 Nation Facebook - Brainwavz Website

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:41 pm 

Hey guys,

I´m interested in buying a new toy. A 7.8" inch 3G enabled with HDMI output (mandatory, big screen reading of magazines is superb; tried it with a Ainol Novo8 mini and it was great)

Which one is more robust quality wise, firmware stable? What do you guys think? Teclast or Ramos?

Teclast also is 2 sim but one of them is mini so i couldn´t swap it with my phone, not really appealing. But it says it has bigger battery than Ramos..

Thanks for the input guys!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:30 pm 

Hi
if i was being brutally honest i would say dont get either as the quality is just insulting - i know thats a little harsh but even though thee are relatively cheap compared to the bigger names its still alot of money

one use the MTK chip, normally used in phones and one uses the actions chip which many have not been impressed with yet so i dont know how these babies will perform - i see they are iPad mini lookalikes and im not surprised as the Mini is very popular tablet for its size, especially for women as its easy to carry around

careful as im looking around it appears there is an X10 and a pro version, some say the X10 does not have 3G .. as ever they don't make this easy to find the right info - so it looks lie the X10 Pro is the 3G version

not many reviews around so far and cant really find ROM development as yet and personally i would recommend only getting a tab where a suitable ROM has been made as stock is always bad and crammed full of crap - also cant work out if the have PLAY services or not

actually its a pain looking around for stuff on tablets so i give in, as ever the info is spread and requires you give up a social life and everything just to get a tab working - pain in the arse .. sorry .. .grumpy old man here !!!

i know its not much help

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Mini / Huawei G300 (just ordered)
  • Fav App: Strava, IMDB, Jewels
  • Portable Audio: currently none
  • Headphones PC: Brainwavz HM5
-------------------------------------------------------------
  • MP4nation webstore: Here

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm 

well, i have to say that hardware wise the chineese brands are pretty powerfull. but it's true, the software optimizations are on the low side. the good part is that they are coming already rooted or is easy to root them.

for example the last one i bought as a gift, the novo8 mini, really cheap, something like 60euros was quite the buy of the last month of 2013. very light, sturdy device. yea, not the fastest horse around with its actions chip inside but watching hd videos, fotos, facebook, reading magazines on the 40" screen through hdmi was a delight. it came full of chineese apps of course, but it was rooted and it was easy just to uninstall or forcefully delete all of those apps. in the end it was OK. the battery did not last long, 2-3 hours max working online and 4-5 with wifi off but somehow i like it, price/performance/battery/screen i thought was OK.

if i know they are coming rooted i can clean them quite nice and the chips are really improved including Rockchip, MTK and even Actions

the MTK chip is quite nice, i have a ZTE 967s and is rocking, with the stock rom (v1.05).

for example the Ramos X10 Pro does exist. http://www.ramos.com.cn/product.php?action=view&id=109
who can read chineese, what does it say? a link with the original rom is there?

also for the Teclast G18D http://www.teclast.com/zhuanti/G18dminic4/
anyone can translate?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:15 pm 

maderin1 wrote:

not many reviews around so far and cant really find ROM development as yet and personally i would recommend only getting a tab where a suitable ROM has been made as stock is always bad and crammed full of crap - also cant work out if the have PLAY services or not

Not even sites in China that we used to use for looking up reviews are reviewing most of the China tab, its become such a generic market where every model from one brand is the same as several others, i think even the reviewers just got tired and moved on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:08 pm 

the last couple i had were claimed top be rooted and many apps would not aork because they ere reportint the tab was rooted but i could not get root or get any deep uninstalling done so not sure what happens there

i have heard decent things about the MTK but its a shame it gets married with some cheap ass hardware and hence gets a bad name, but you have a ZTE so that should be a step up the ladder of quality so maybe their stocks are actually quite good

the problem i have is ot really with the power, we know they can kick some serious butt - its with build quality, even with the so-called brands like ramos and cube etc etc

here are the links google translated
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 26id%3D109

there does seem to be a firmware on that page for the ramos - again, not sure if this include PLAT or google services - you would need to find a review for that, maybe youtube

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... dminic4%2F

LOL - its been a while since i looked at a product page for a chinese product and they still massively over photoshop and misrepresent their products with dodgy - love the fact Teclast have chosen pirated images of Lindsay lohan, that bastion of all that good and wholesome, to show off their product - massive LOL

anyway, while i like the size of these iPad mini style tabs i would be dubious in getting one unless you had an easy and free route to return if needed- i know im a grump on this but thats just me being hardened to it now - they do look nice and maybe im beig harsh and things have improved ....

anyway, i really dont know about which chip and stock android s better but seeing as you have seen good things from MTK that maybe a good starting point

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 pm 

i believe things have improved, android is more mature the chipsets are several generations up and bugs have been kicked out on majority of cases..
i mean you can expect all of the functions to work correctly. gps, bluetooth, hdmi, touchscreen and no blue-screen-of-death. sure battery consumption is high but it doesn´t really matter. i charge almost daily my phone, heck through in the tablet as-well.

yea, all the chineese manufacturers get the same recipe and multiplicate them. but the good part is that the underlying is done right by the chipset manufacturer and google.

from what i´ve seen on the screenshot on one of the stores, that teclast comes with the version 1.05 of build which could be the same as my phone. now my phone works just fine, i might just go on this hunch.

apple is going to have a problem if is not coming up with something reeally good. like nuclear power battery or something. fingerprint authentication yea bling bling, siri yea, boring after a day and works well with wifi, gps all the things on to eat up battery like crazy, more apps on their store? not by much nowadays and the difference shrinking by month as the market is flooded with android devices and all the devs want a piece of the action. android devices are good enough and at a fraction of price.
but anyhow, i´m getting away from our talk..

I´ll get back here with some impressions in a few weeks time.

ps: i still have my nationite 7" rocktab tablet (android 1.5) eeh? works like a charm for watching xvids, battery still holding strong. i usually get it when travelling, long flights and stuff.
this next one i´ll have it for a long time hopefully and the hdmi cable is already ordered, yuuuhuuuu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:02 pm 

lol - i still have the rock tab also - i suppose i speak from recent experience of tabs from that last 6 months where 2 have dies and literally fallen apart, so, as ever its hit and miss

i will say though i like the size and formats of these and while im not really a tab fan they have their uses and its odd not having one around just to pick and and use when needed

as for apple, well i think they mailed it wit the ipad mini as its very popular here, its actually taken over alot of people, my two sisters included, main tab, they have dumped the ipad in favour of this but i agree on their so called "innovations" - its getting transparent now that they are struggling to fool people into getting that latest update

good luck with the tablet and would like to know how it goes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:42 am 

Apple just got it right with making a good packaged item with many core features working well with each other and in a simple interface, their products can be used by the non tech savy to the uber geek. Android has come a very long way since its early days and so have China tablets but in terms of Android for tablets, i still don't find it as polished as iOS for iPads.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:16 pm 

I got it. It arrived a few days ago. All good, very satisfied with the purchase.

Sturdy device, well made, aluminium (half of the back, plastic at ends most likely for the antennas) easily scratch-able but don't really mind.
It came with a few apps from Store (like some dolphin browser or something and stuff) and only 1 in Chineese called Update which opens teclast page and checks for new firmware I suspect. All the apps i uninstalled without problems. It did not came rooted, maybe later i will try framaroot which i heard does the job on this model.

Comes with Android 4.2.2, build 1.06, December 2013. Really good build, no crashes. Calling works as expected, 3G picked up real quick and internet works with no problems. Wifi also stable. Camera is OK, i'm using mostly the front one for WeChat video calls.

Did not try GPS yet. Bluetooth works, paired it with my Zte and foto exchange went smoothly.

The only issues i had with it but i'm not sure if it's the tablet or the hdmi cable. It only show 576p on TV and with some white dots/noise. I will try to get my hands on a shorter cable (i have a 5m, cheap one) and higher quality to see how it goes.

And some pics

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:02 pm 

cheers for the update - i like it and must admit to being tempted since i lost my last one - it is convenient for many things - we will see but it may be a phone first on the gadget front as mine is all but seconds away from shooting high speed to a brick wall

have fun with the tablet