MP4 Nation Forums
MP4 Nation Store - MP4 Nation Blog - MP4 Nation Facebook - Brainwavz Website

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:31 am 

13 days shy of this sub forum being active and there is now news of Meizu coming out with a tablet, article via Engadget

Quote:
Like most other mobile companies out there, it appears Meizu is looking to branch out from cellphones to tablets. It's a little too early to say for sure what the manufacturer's plans are, but a recent patent filing by Jo Young Soo, Meizu's lead designer, with China's SIPO (State Intellectual Property Office) gives a hint that a slate may be in the works. The application isn't for a tablet, per se, but for a protective case that holds a tablet and keyboard. Now, it's quite a leap from case to tablet, but Meizu doesn't seem like the type of company to suddenly jump into the third-party iPad accessory market. Obviously we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but don't be shocked if the Chinese manufacturer hops into the Honeycomb fray soon.

Link

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am 

Link to the patent application

Well at least the back part of the casing can't be mistaken for a ipad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:07 pm 

they will get sued, then make an awesome domestic market only product =P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:26 pm 

psilo110 wrote:
they will get sued, then make an awesome domestic market only product =P

LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:46 pm 

do people still lust after the m9, I had kind of forgotten about it after all the grey market imports were like twice the price

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:09 pm 

i think they do in china and there are still the hardcore Meizu lovers over at meizuMe forums, beyond that i think its just seen as far too expensive to be considerd against the sea of phones available from other named companies

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Mini / Huawei G300 (just ordered)
  • Fav App: Strava, IMDB, Jewels
  • Portable Audio: currently none
  • Headphones PC: Brainwavz HM5
-------------------------------------------------------------
  • MP4nation webstore: Here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:38 am 

I thought they had given up on making a tablet. Who knows... maybe it's a dock/screen/keyboard combo for the M9/MX.

Phone: Meizu M9
IEM: Brainwavz M1, Cube F1
Headphones: Cube F6, Beats Pro clones
Old Players: Cube H880FHDR 4GB, Meizu M6SL 8GB, RAmos T12HD 8GB, OS-43 16GB, OS-81, Onda VX767 8GB, Creative Zen Vision:M, Microsoft Zune 30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:39 am 

Quote:
I thought they had given up on making a tablet. Who knows... maybe it's a dock/screen/keyboard combo for the M9/MX.

It should be a keyboard/dock/case thingy for the upcoming MX phone. No way would Meizu muck up their business plan with a tablet.

Quote:
beyond that i think its just seen as far too expensive to be considerd against the sea of phones available from other named companies

Meizu does face a bit of a quandary, at least if they still entertain the idea of officially entering any other market besides China. With the MX, the company is taking another huge step: Hardware-wise, it will be right up there; price-wise it's going to be right up there as well. The dual-core, 16GB MX at between $400-500 in China should go over pretty well (especially if they offer a trade-in policy), but the 32GB quad-core version at over $600 is really pushing the envelope. No doubt the hardware will all be top-shelf, but there's no escaping that Meizu is still working to connect all the dots with their custom Android OS. While it's fair to offer the excuse that this is still a company in transition, it's also fair to say that transition has meant Meizu buyers have essentially been beta testers since the process began.

While people were still waiting on the M9, I was saying the real measure of where Meizu stands would be the MX. With this short development cycle (short for Meizu, at least), the company needs to prove they can not only deliver bleeding-edge tech, but back that up with more "final" builds of their OS as well. Although operating on a higher plane altogether, it's nevertheless not a stretch to say they're struggling with the same ol' Achilles' Heel as other Chinese manufacturers: firmware just doesn't keep pace with hardware. Meizu is lucky that their fans are die-hard in every sense of the term.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:52 am 

Meh, Meizu is dead to me. They lost any potential price advantage they had a long time ago. If I wanted to pay that much for a phone i'd buy a Samsung, wouldn't want to have to deal with the usual Meizu firmware issues, not when I was paying the kind of prices Meizu command noways.

My next phone will almost certainly be the Xiaomi Mi-One. Although J.Wong seems to hate the head of Xiaomi and accuses him of stealing ideas, the fact is their business model and software is just better. Period. They are doing what Meizu should have been doing from the start. With firmware development being handled both in house but also making it so easy for the already huge community to develop and load their own Roms, it means that in no time at all the Firmware will be top notch.

Also a focus on cheap yet still high end, well built hardware, and a continuing focus on power management and devotion to constant fw development they have shown they really understand what the geeks want.

I used MIUI on my friends Galaxy S and it is the best android experience I have ever had. Sense UI, Touch Wiz etc etc lack many of the useful advanced features this firmware provides. They have really thought about the type of advanced features and customization options that power users/geeks would really want and while the UI is clearly iPhone influenced in many ways it goes far beyond what iOS offers yet is still proper android through and through. It also makes stock android look ugly.