I received the player yesterday, after buying the ainol V9000HDA, i liked to have another ainol player with about thesame great video playback with a few extra's.
I liked the fact that it had a higher resolution screen, more buttons, more powerful battery so it should run longer on one charge, better build in speakers and capable of PDF support where you could view A4 pages without the need of zooming in and out the whole time.
Well, let's say i'm not happy with it, not at all. The difference between V9000HDA and the V8000HDY is like night and day, a very good (V9000HDA) media player against a very bad (V8000HDY) one, with the V9000HDA i had the thought that ainol only made good products, well, was i wrong at that.
Let's begin with the good points of the V8000HDY, the only few good points it has:
- The higher resolution screen can only be good for viewing large pictures and viewing PDF's, for the rest, the higher resolution screen is very bad!
- The build in speaker is indeed better, so it would be good to view a movie with it without the need to hear very good to the player to understand what they are saying in a tutorial for example
- The buttons can be handy somethimes
- This player is ONLY good when you view high defenition movies on it, do NOT use this player for standard quality resolution movies, unless you use tv-out.
- In my view, this player is only good for viewing PDF's at the moment, and maybe viewing some HD content.
Now the negative parts:
- At the top of the screen you have some buttons like the home button, a button for adjust the volume and to adjust the brightness of the screen, on the V9000HDA you could use these buttons, on the V8000HDY you can't use these, they are just displayed but you can't use it, so if you have a lot of folders, you have a hard time to go to another one because you always have to press esc for every folder, and you have to use the esc button more if you want to go to the main screen again.
- The remote doesn't work good, it even turns of the player very frequently! If you use tv-out, and use the remote, get prepared to restart the device and start all over to view something again. Also, the buttons on the remote seems to react the opposite way, volume + is actualy volume -, button down works like button up, button right works like button left... No such problems with the V9000HDA!
- 95% of what i have are standard quality files, they look like rubbish on this player, it's so hard pixelated that i hardly can believe that this is a player from ainol! The quality is even more bad then the mobile phone i have that costed less then 100 dollar, including 2 battery's and a charger that this player doesn't have.
- This player has a better battery, well, so says the specs, the reality is, that the battery life is much worse then on the V9000HDA! The V9000HDA can go for more then 5 hours. This V8000HDY player for 2.5 hours, when not playing anything and just staying on the power screen! The latest ainol players are known for a good battery life, but this isn't one of them for sure.
- The player gets stuck, freezes, and turns of by itself without any reason for alot of times! Even when just going trough the menu it turns off!, no such problems on the V9000HDA!
- While the speakers are better on this player, the very bad playback of standard quality files make this player useless for me to view any tutorials or movies.
- every file starts with a little slowdown, and again, the V9000HDA doesn't have this problem either.
Conclusion, i bought this player for nothing, i can only keep it as a backup player, in the hope that there will be a firwmare ready if i need it is a backup, when it actualy works and i can use the remote also on it.
Sorry to say this, but this player is not good at all, since it shows all standard defenition files so bad that i can't believe it (very badly pixelated!) this player is nothing good for me, and it could only be used for tv out i think, when that would work but i haven't tested that out yet, anyway, the remote doesn't work well with it and it would turn off after a few button presses on the remote, this is for the moment also useless.
The only positive thing is the PDF view, i was able to view a standars 16MB file with more then 600 pages with many images (it was a manual of a canon printer), while a smaller pdf couldn't be displayed. I think that this means that it is just the way the file was saved is the problem, and if we know how we should save it, we could realy view pdf's on the go. But even if that was possible, a battery life of 2.5 hours doesn't make this usefull either, so all in al, this player is good for nothing. I have wasted my money with this, every euro i spend on it.
Sending it back... i thought of that, and it's a hard decision, if i send it back, i have to pay the costs to send it back also, and maybe i even don't get my money back, and i did got this for mp4nation, not from ebay, before i get that feedback again.
For others, if you want a bigger screen player, then i think the 8" one from ainol with the lower resolution screen would be the better choice, but stay away from this player if you have a lot of standard quality content.
Edit: i also don't believe this is a real native 1024 x 600 resolution screen, but something like the standard resolution zoomed in or something like that, because if you see good at the text in the menus for example, you can see that the letters of the words are not well displayed, for example, some parts of the letters are displayed in bold, or i don't know how to explain it, it's just not right the way i see it, when you see the menu on the V9000HDA, it is displayed very clear, like i said... a difference between night and day. And i even bought the 16GB version, the most expensive... i wish i didn't buy this player