MP4 Nation Forums
MP4 Nation Store - MP4 Nation Blog - MP4 Nation Facebook - Brainwavz Website

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:04 am 

It's here! Fast shipping. Total transit time was about 5 days. Nice job.

[attachment=3:1qbumyvt]Photo048.jpg[/attachment:1qbumyvt]

Out it comes. A single layer of Bubble Wrap over the top for a little protection.

[attachment=2:1qbumyvt]Photo049.jpg[/attachment:1qbumyvt]

It's huge! And not face down like I have seen mentioned elsewhere on this forum. No matter though, the screen isn't damaged in any way.

[attachment=1:1qbumyvt]Photo050.jpg[/attachment:1qbumyvt]

In the hand. Not too bad. Not so huge after all.

[attachment=0:1qbumyvt]Photo051.jpg[/attachment:1qbumyvt]

The included (very few accessories). Mini USB cable, earphones, Manual (In Chinese), and a warranty card.

Initial Impressions:

Visually, the design is appealing. It's minimal and simple. Easy on the eye. As the unit was in Chinese I had to manually set this by going into the 'Settings' (Cog Icon) to change this to English, which was easy enough.

The screen on the unit is decent. Certainly not great. Based on what i could gather from skimming through the manual, the unit does indeed use an LTPS display, and does run the higher 1024x600 display. Does it translate to better image quality compared to other screen types? Not really. This screen appears somewhat grainy and lacks the sharpness of other LCD screens that I have seen on various devices - even at lower resolutions.

Usability is easy enough, those looking for more detail on this should look at all of the other Ainol devices out at the moment. It is identical.

I haven't really tested video or PDF performance, but will do so soon. I can only assume that as it is based on the SoChip SC9800, performance will be identical to other Ainol players using this processor.

If anyone has any specific requests, please let me know and I'll do my best to check them for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:06 am 

Thanks astr0, and congrats on the new toy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:10 am 

Thanks bud :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:11 am 

You're very welcome, no problem. Getting new toys is always fun. Would love to see some photos when you get a nice colored PDF document on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 am 

Also would like to know how good battery life is for your player, either on audio or video.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:21 pm 

I received my player this morning too. Haven't had the time to take a good look at it yet but on first impression, it has a nice decent screen size and somewhat heavy . I'll find out more when I get to compare it with my Onda VX545HD. As I was exploring the menu options, I made the mistake by clicking on the screen calibration option and all I get is a white screen with a cross hair which I have no idea what it does other than it moves to each corner if you tap the screen. The only option for me was to hold the On/Off button for 8 secs to reset the unit. Can anyone tell me what Calibration really do on the Ainol?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:29 pm 

I've always thought calibration was for touchscreen players software to be more precise with your touch.

If it happens again just tap each "cross" with your finger as precise as can be and it'll most likely go back to normal(if it happens again)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:12 pm 

tap the centre of the cross with your fingernail or use a stylus pen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:58 pm 

Congratulations. I'm glad you got your PMP so quickly in the mail. Still waiting on mine. I'll remember your tip and the first thing I'll do when I turn it on is to go into settings and change it to English.

I understand your comments on the screen quality. Even w/ a LTPS, the larger screen PMP's don't have the same quality as the top of the line 4.3 screens like the V9000HDA. But I'm hoping that it's large enough that the front angle is good enough to make up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:22 pm 

cartelps11 wrote:
Also would like to know how good battery life is for your player, either on audio or video.

So far, battery life has been impressive. I have watched two 720p shows back to back for almost two hours with the battery indicating that it is still full. I wasn't sure if this was accurate so I switched it off and then back on again and played with it for another 15-20 mins. Battery is still indicating that it is full.

PDF performance is mediocre. I have tested 6 different PDF's of different sizes. Two were comic books of around 10MB, these both failed with the error "Sorry! Can't Render Page!" .I tried a 50MB manual which caused the device to crash and reboot. The only one that worked was a 'CSS for Dummies' ebook. When you get it to work, navigation is reasonable but the lack of responsiveness makes 'turning pages' frustrating.

What I feel really lets this device down is its screen. At some angles the image quality is brilliant - but this requres quite a bit of effort in the first place, making sure the angle is correct to achieve an optimum picture. While this can be the case to some degree with lots of LCD's, the V8000HDY has a very small window where decent picture quality can be achieved. So far I have found that laying it on a flat surface produces the best picture with the least variation. Holding it in your hand at an angle is frustrating because you find yourself constantly adjusting the angle to achieve a decent image.

Another frustrating issue that other Ainol users have expressed is the inability to turn off subtitles in MKV's. I don't mean change them - I want to switch them off completely. There is no option whatsoever for this in the settings menu or while playing back the video. What a major oversight. I have tried to overcome this by removing subtitles using MKVToolnix which successfully remuxes the file, which plays fine on my PC, but crashes the V8000HDY, forcing you to hard reset the device.