MP4 Nation Forums
MP4 Nation Store - MP4 Nation Blog - MP4 Nation Facebook - Brainwavz Website

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:44 am 

at last you have your excited little hands on a nationite again - hope all goes well this time

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Mini / Huawei G300 (just ordered)
  • Fav App: Strava, IMDB, Jewels
  • Portable Audio: currently none
  • Headphones PC: Brainwavz HM5
-------------------------------------------------------------
  • MP4nation webstore: Here

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:50 am 

Thanks, maderin!

:)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:34 am 

Congrats on the new toy Will. After I convert 3 more movies for mine, I'll be caught back up again. I re-ripped all my movies and re-encoded them because of the higher resolution. These new converts play well in my VX555HD as well, so I killed 2 birds with one stone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:10 am 

Hi, Warrior Poet,

Wow--how many did you have to re-rip? All mine are about ~700-1000 MB, and look fine on this small screen--basically DVD
rez--for the most part (there's sometimes a little posterization and/or macro-blocking on pans of solid color like sky, or when the screen fades to black, but Iguess you'll always have that with compressed files to some degree). On the home theater screen the compression artifacts are very much more noticible...but, hey, sometimes ya gotta just get into the movie and not worry about all the tech crap.

Anyway, what were the ~ file-sizes of the older rips? And th new ones? thx, just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:17 am 

About 75 movies. I don't set mine for a certain video bitrate. I set mine for a set quality. In other words, I have the GOM Encoder, and I was reading their website, and it said that it was better to use a Variable Bitrate (VBR), as opposed to a Constant Bitrate (CBR), for high resolution players. It recommended a setting of 50-80, so I use a 65 setting, sometimes a 75. VBR is nice because it automatically detects what bitrate to use. If it's a slow, darker scene say, it uses a lower bitrate. If it's a high action scene it automatically adjusts the bitrate higher. The downside is you don't know what the size will be when it's done, but it's usually between 750MB, to 1.20GB, and as high as 1.79GB for a 3 hour movie. I did encode one of my movies using a 75 setting, and it resulted in a 2.12GB movie, but damn, it plays and looks flawless. No pixelation at all. Really nice encoder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:38 am 

Glad to see it arrived safe and sound.

Interesting to hear your view on the Dr Dre Beats, been seeing mixed reviews about them, i have a friend with the Lady Gaga IEM and they actually don't sound that bad, same with the Monster Turbine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:35 pm 

The biggest problem with the Beats, from what I've read among others' reviews, is getting a good seal--without that, as with any IEM, they aren't going to sound very good. Thankfully, the silicone eartips provided (medium--the ones on the 'phones when they arrived) worked great for me...and, I'm sure they'll fit the Betas, too, although I haven't tried that, yet, since one set from the new tips you're now providing with the Betas works O.K. for me. (I'll test that out to make sure in the next few days.) Look ,the Beats aren't Ultimate Ears, or even Etymotics, in terms of ultimate resolution (although they are "sweeter" than the Etymotics, a good thing and a fair tradeoff). but for $150 bucks--or less, if you're savvy enough to snag an OEM pair rather than a cheap copy--they are very impressive IMO. As with any revealing monitor, whether IEM or loudspeaker, they require good source recordings; if the recording sucks, it'll be laid bare in all its ugly glory. Haven't yet heard the Lady Gagas or Turrbines or Turbine Pluses, yet. Probably will at some point. Meanwhile, I'm happy for now...

BUT: I'm having the issue with the folders and files not being recognized on the player, again. I'll start a new thread on the issue later today, and post some albums on a server, and maybe folks can load 'em and help me with diagnosing this problem if they have time. I think it has to do with ID3 tags, not sure. When I tried to strip the tags with MediaMonkey on some test files, the problem remained, however. (Some of my album art tags are embedded in the main tags, but not sure which ones, as I've batch-applied them sporadically over a long time period, and tried for compatibility with several music software players, so...it's a mess...)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:45 pm 

Thanks for the tips, 'Poet :) ...gonna have to give that SW a try. I agree, IMO, there are many pluses of VBR, btw. (...WTF, FBI, CIA, MIA & CBS :mrgreen: ).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 am 

btw when you used those test files which had their ID3 stripped, did you manually choose to update the media library on the player?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 am 

Got up outa bed to hit the can, and had to check back on the forums, lol. No, not on this player, but on the M50, I think. Maderin gave me the solution to the problem, I think, actually: folders with "hidden" attributes that also have been made "system" files (e.g. their "hidden" attributes box in Properties is grayed out/inaccessible) are not seen by the player's OS. This may be caused by a virus, although not on my system, AFAIK. But many of the files I have have been downloaded, and their attributes passed on, obviously; others have come from friends, not all of whom are PC savvy, let alone security savvy. So.

The solution is just to create new folders (with normal attributes) and to paste the files/songs into the new folders. So, problem solved! Mad spent quite some time today to work this through, and help me out, and I'm really grateful. Thanks for your interest, too!

:)

Will