MP4 Nation Forums
MP4 Nation Store - MP4 Nation Blog - MP4 Nation Facebook - Brainwavz Website

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:48 pm 

[UPDATED][NOW with better pics!] I just got in a set of Brainwavz HM9 Full Sized Headphones in a few days ago for evaluation :) I've been listening to them for over 25 hours now, with few breaks in between to judge long wearing comfort, and with several different type of music. I can state right off that these are, thankfully, nothing like Beats...a problem with lots of bass emphasized headphones. The signature definitely edges towards the bottom end, but in a good way, not an over powering way. There is a full soundstage at play here, with some really nice separation, and no muddiness at all.

The bass end is rich and full, with many layers to it, easily separating the Bass from a guitar from a Bass drum. The high end is also well represented, with a full range to it, but zero sibilance rearing it's ugly head. The mid range is the only thing I'm feeling could be better represented here, it's not missing, but it isn't as center stage as the rest of the signature. This isn't "V" shaped, not in the least, just not as strong as a, say, neutral set would have been. A little bit of EQ fiddling fixed this right up, though, so it really isn't a problem that cant be fixed. All told, this has a full, rich great sounding signature, one that would fit right in with those looking for a strong soundstage for many different types of music, especially modern pop.

I like the three sets of cables that came with the HM9's. The two main cables are flat wired and are of differing lengths, one shorter one for travel, and another much longer one for home use. They seem sturdy and plug into the left ear cup(this is a single wire solution, not a dual as the HM5's were, I like that, less clutter). Also included is a rounded shorter length mobile mic'd cable. I tested it with my new Nokia 521 Windows 8 phone and it seemed to be recognized well, and a few phone calls revealed it to work great, with both good sound quality outgoing and incoming, nice. I could not answer a call, though, but I could terminate it. Always gonna be a compromise here with these mic'd solutions. I'll try it on my older Android phone later on and report back on its effectiveness.(EDIT: I tried it with my Samsung Galaxy S2 and had no problems with it at all. All worked as it should). As for fit, the HM9's have big, fluffy, comfortable memory foam ear pads that sit ON the ear mostly, but have conformed to sit partially over my ear(the top part) after around 10 hours of use. It has little clamping force...a good and a bad thing. Good for comfort, bad for staying put on your head with a lot of movement, so these wouldn't be my first choice in the gym, but they do clamp enough to stay put with normal activities like walking and sudden head movements. Build quality is above average here, with strong construction and really high end materials used, like aluminium and strong, but light, plastic. I also like the little touches, like a little bit of foam on the inside edge at the top of the ear cup to prevent it from getting damaged by the metal(see pic), nice. I like the overall design as a whole, with a modern look, it looks better than I thought it would on my head. And thankfully it doesn't try to emulate Beats, too many trying to do that already. The folding aspect is also a nice one, as I travel a lot and it makes the included case more compact for easy packing.

I used my Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ as well as my Nokia 521 Windows Phone for testing purposes, with no external amplification.

I will update this as I go along, and welcome any comments :)

Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,

Last edited by dragon2knight on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:07 am 

thanks for the review D2K

not sure how to upload vids - not done it in ages or linked but im sure there was a way, maybe its not been reinstalled since the move back to phpbb

anyway, looking forward to any more thoughts on them

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Mini / Huawei G300 (just ordered)
  • Fav App: Strava, IMDB, Jewels
  • Portable Audio: currently none
  • Headphones PC: Brainwavz HM5
-------------------------------------------------------------
  • MP4nation webstore: Here

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:10 am 

maderin1 wrote:
thanks for the review D2K

not sure how to upload vids - not done it in ages or linked but im sure there was a way, maybe its not been reinstalled since the move back to phpbb

anyway, looking forward to any more thoughts on them

Yeah, there's nothing here to upload them...ah well, I'll take better pics then, upload them later on :) These are really good headphones, I haven't taken them off yet, they sound great!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:17 am 

cheers D2K - ill have a look at the video issue
also would be nice to see a side by side image compared to the HM5 - if possible - get a feel for the overall size

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 am 

These are a bit smaller overall compared to the HM5's, but these can get quite a bit smaller for travelling thanks to the folding feature of the HM9's :) My bassist has my(now his, pretty much)HM5's, so I can't do a side by side unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:31 pm 

Hi D2K, thanks for the good review. Definitely want to try them now.

Can't you post a video review on Youtube and post the link here?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:59 pm 

Vijay wrote:
Hi D2K, thanks for the good review. Definitely want to try them now.

Can't you post a video review on Youtube and post the link here?

Good idea :) I'll try that later today, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:35 pm 

just asking but what camera phone produced those pics ??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:55 pm 

maderin1 wrote:
just asking but what camera phone produced those pics ??

I've recently gravitated beyond Android phones to try out a nice Windows Phone 8 deal that's here in the States called the Nokia Lumia 521. It cost around $100.00 new off contract for T-Mobile. It's simply the best phone I've used in quite awhile, with smooth operation and zero lag. The built in camera is only 5 megapixels but, like other Nokia Lumia phones, it's above average even without a built in led flash. Check it out if you can(I believe it's called the 520 over there, Mad).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:55 pm 

they are pretty cheap here too and look nice, seen a few people who were on androids who feel relieved now they have the windows phone and i can see why, alot simpler, cleaner and faster and they feel safer too ... ??

so how is the phone when used with these phones, is it powerful enough for the phones, i know my phone cant drive the HM5 at all - can the HM9 be driven nicely without amp?