MP4 Nation Forums
MP4 Nation Store - MP4 Nation Blog - MP4 Nation Facebook - Brainwavz Website

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:13 am 

i have noticed that recently released branded tabs are becoming cheaper and some can even match the "cheap" chinese tabs.. and with better specs and more solidly built hardware... e.g. is the archos 80 g9 which is $299... you can compare it to onda vi30 which on most sites is only $20-30 less than archos 80 g9... and the latter is much more powerful... you can also compare it to the expensive chinese tabs like malata tegra 2 tab etc.. and archos g9 still has better specs... There's archos and also other tabs like aconia tab a100 (7") and amazon fire(although lacks connectivity).... and they are much better built....

can we expect significant price drops in the chinese tabs as right now i can see they are all pretty overpriced for the specs and performance they are proposing..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:34 am 

Well... I sincerely disagree to invest on chinese ones...
there are lots of US, European corporations putting efforts in the market for some assumable prices...

>> at least... good product, medium price but warranty, haha!

---
1.2GHz - 512Mb - 8Gb - 3G/GPRS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:35 am 

yeahman45 wrote:
i have noticed that recently released branded tabs are becoming cheaper and some can even match the "cheap" chinese tabs.. and with better specs and more solidly built hardware

You have a real point there. I've been a long time fan of buying Chinese PMPs. I bought my first one two years ago. In the past, I found PMPs useful as a lower cost alternative to an iPod. And they could play a lot of different video formats right out of the box. So if you were primarily looking for portable video, the PMP worked great. Music was good but not as great as a Sansa MP3 player.

But this Android tablet boom has replaced the PMP to an extent. Now I'm running into that roadblock where the instability and quirks of Chinese tablets are more pronounced that what I was used to in PMPs. I'm still waiting on a refund from a Teclast tablet that I returned because I was very disappointed with it's performance. With prices of these Chinese tablets getting higher and higher, it is a good question as to whether it's worth it to invest in these tabs or just spend a little more on a more main stream tablet.

In my case, I had spent around $280 on a Teclast tablet. But for $300, I could have bought an Acer A100 tablet instead. Or even put some more money toward a Galaxy tab or HTC Flyer. Last month, there was a sale at the local brick and mortar store that offered $50 off on android tablets. I was really looking closely at the Acer A100 tablet, but ultimately I wasn't a fan of the poor battery performace and complaints about the screen. But is really woke me up to the reality that tablet prices are dropping on mainstream brands. The price difference between Chinese and mainstream tablets is shrinking and the overseas market is losing it's luster. I had originally bought a MIDnite for just under $200, but now I find myself willing to spend more money to get a tablet w/ better specs and performance. Weird, because a year ago, I wasn't interested in spending so much money on a tablet. For that money, I wold have rather bought a cheap laptop. But I've gotten hooked on the portablity of a tablet and want to get another as soon as I can.

I see the main weakness in Chinese tablets right now is just the lack of stability. I like the market that has 20 or 30 different variations of 7" and 8" tablet. If you look hard enough, you can find the combination of screen size, screen resolution and ports that you like the most. But the well documented problems w/ getting full access to the market, few firmware releases, spotty WiFi connection, incompatible apps and very little clearly documented information on specific tablet models are hurting the market. Buying a Chinese tablet right now is a gamble.

I wish that a Chinese company would just take the time to support a 7" or 8" tablet w/ a long term vision. To many tablets are just make and sold pretty much as is. If you are lucky, you will get one official firmware release. But other than that, you are dependant on the overall community to help w/ fixes for something as simple as getting full Android market. This strategy seems to make money in the home market, but buying these devices on the internet from overseas almost makes you feel like you are blind.

That's not to say that mainstream companies don't have problems. The main reason why I never bought a tablet last year from a mainstream company like Samsung, Acer or Toshiba was because of the high prices as well as negative reviews. There are some really good reviews out there, but I also see horror stories from people who really weren't happy w/ Galaxy Tabs for example. No offence, but I've never been a fan of Archos devices. I've seen too many bad reviews to ever buy a tablet from them, even for $299. The Kindle Fire is not an Android tablet. And without a SD card slot, it's going to be harder to modify than a Nook Color. So it really should not be compared to the Archos or Acer tablets. So in short, there are issues w/ mainstream tablets as well. Nobody is perfect.

I don't know what my next tablet purchase is going to be yet. But I suggest really taking your time to research any tablets to try to find one that have been around long enough to get most of the quirks fixed on internet threads like this. I don't recommend being an early adopter for any tablet, no matter how much hype is being generated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:16 am 

one advantage of adopting a mainstream tablet is higher probability to get more official support (not true for all companies though)... and much better support from recognised development communities like the guys at xda and cyanogenmod team... look what they did recently for the touchpad... which i own...

i want to buy another tablet for my brother.. nearly bought one of the chinese tab but then i saw price drops in the mainstream market.... so i am going to wait a little bit lol... archos g9 got mostly good reviews from engadget and slashgear... so they must be quite solid for the price they are proposing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:16 am 

Yeah, after the money I lost shipping my last tablet back to China, I am going to go back to the local stores and give mainstream tablets serious consideration. Earlier this year by limit was $200 so I think I did OK w/ a Nationite MIDnite. Other than the painful wifi connection problem, it was a good basic tablet. Now that I'm willing to spend more money, I can see myself going up to $300.

So I'm looking at something like the Acer Iconia A100, Viewsonic ViewPad 7, HTC Flyer WiFi or Dell Streak. I've seen the refurbished Dell Streak being offered from my cell phone provider for less than $100 with a 2 year contract. But I don't really want to pay a second data plan. I'd prefer to just use my home wifi to get my tablet updates.

If I'm really desperate, I could take a chance on that 7" Coby Kyros I've seen w/ the capacitive screen.

Also, take my opinion of Archos w/ a grain of salt. I've never really been impressed with that companies devices even before they started making Android tablets. I even thought their mp3 players and PMPs were buggy. So I just can't see myself every buying a tablet from them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:24 am 

I bought into the Viewsonic G Tablet. It was a large "brand name" manufacturer. I was thinking I'd get a nice speedy tegra2 tablet, with good support and firmware updates. To their credit they have updated their firmware 3-4 times. That said I'm still running Android 2.2, and the stock TnT firmware is horribley slow. The only big benefit to this tablet is huge levels of community support.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:14 am 

To be honest if I was an American customer I'd find it very hard to justify buying a China tab given the cheaper pricing across the board for all mainstream branded tabs as compared with here in the UK and the rest of Europe. As mentioned the prices of the higher end China tabs after shipping/tax etc are just to close or even equal/more than main stream tab prices so its hard to justify buying a China tab, not to mention the lack of community support.

Also the stability issues are annoying at the best of times. Rockchip tabs seems to be the only ones showing any real signs of stability and vaguely up to date OS's and even then we are still seeing issues. With very limited community support and close no developer interest outside China, again it's difficult to rectify FW issues. A cheap device like the Window N50 may just be worth it if the 2.0 FW is decent and a small community builds up around it. But even then ICS will almost certainly never come to it.

And this is another thing. With ICS just days away from being announced its difficult to justify buying any tab without upgrade potential. Main thing for me really though is lack of community. Getting a good dev on board can literally transform a sub par device and make it a please to use,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:43 am 

sere83 wrote:
To be honest if I was an American customer I'd find it very hard to justify buying a China tab given the cheaper pricing across the board for all mainstream branded tabs as compared with here in the UK and the rest of Europe.

Also the stability issues are annoying at the best of times. Rockchip tabs seems to be the only ones showing any real signs of stability and vaguely up to date OS's and even then we are still seeing issues.

That is the exact situation I find myself in here in the US. Adding in shipping costs and Chinese tablets at the $250 price range are competing with lower end tablets in can buy at a retail store in my neighborhood. The value I had getting a PMP cheaper than a iPod has disappeared with the move to android. It's better to look at the sub $200 tablets, but again the stability issues are still a glaring problem.

I place the blame squarely on the short sightedness of companies that are not focusing on supporting their existing designs. They have the foundation of hardware and experience to make a line of stable budget tablets. Even if the devices are lower quality than a iPad, there has been enough time to offer a stable Froyo 2.2 tablet. By the end of the year they should have finalized a stable Gingerbread 2.3 tablet.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:28 am 

TroyNation wrote:
That is the exact situation I find myself in here in the US. Adding in shipping costs and Chinese tablets at the $250 price range are competing with lower end tablets in can buy at a retail store in my neighborhood. The value I had getting a PMP cheaper than a iPod has disappeared with the move to android. It's better to look at the sub $200 tablets, but again the stability issues are still a glaring problem.

Even the sub $200 market is getting competition with the Kindle Fire. at $199 with a 7" IPS screen, and (hopefully) good support from amazon the $150-$200 chinese android market is in trouble IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:05 pm 

the chinese tab are definately in trouble if they don't lower their prices... what attracted buyers to chinese tabs was primarily their low prices...