MP4 Nation Forums
MP4 Nation Store - MP4 Nation Blog - MP4 Nation Facebook - Brainwavz Website

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:32 pm 

O.K., my OS-72HR has left HK, and is on the way to the states; so, I have two questions as I gear up for it:

1) Q: I CAN use the Teclast 5.4 FW with the current Nationite OS-72 player, right? I kinda understood from maderin that this was O.K., but it wasn't overtly said...

2) Re: the new ebook reader offered with the Teclast 5.4 FW (assuming I can use 5.4)...I had 5.4 loaded on that Teclast-branded unit, and the ebook reader split words at the end of the line just any which way it freakin' wanted to, without regard to syllables, hypehation rules, etc. Almost always wrongly. Often with just one letter remaining on the line above, or the line below, it made it hard to read stuff. Is tthere any fix for this anyone knows about?

I played around with the 3rd-party Chinese app ebook reader, but that became too frustrating, as I couldn't really figure out what all the (MANY!) options were--or how to "un-change "them! So, any help is appreciated.

Didn't have a problem, for example, with the simple ebook reader on the OS-81, which kept words whole, whether on the existing line, or moved 100% to the line below...this should be a no-brainer.

But, I keep figuring out that the Chinese don't even fix the obvious things on these players (e.g. when browsing music files/folders on these units, the text doesn't change color when the highlighted strip is over a selection, like it properly does when browsing movies, or ebooks, or using the main browser...how hard is it to have the same look and feel when browsing via all features, in this very simple, utilitarian GUI? As I use red fonts, I NEED them to change to white when the orange bar is on top of the selection, just to see the text...sheesh).

But, I'm not really in the mood to bitch, today (ya haveta be in the proper, surly frame of mind to bitch correctly! :mrgreen: ), so...I'm all done, now!

:)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:46 pm 

willdao wrote:
1) Q: I CAN use the Teclast 5.4 FW with the current Nationite OS-72 player, right? I kinda understood from maderin that this was O.K., but it wasn't overtly said...
I say if it's not broken, don't fix it. But, if you wanna be the guinea pig, and see if it indeed works, I'm rootin' for ya. :P I kinda wanted to try, but don't have the firmware to go back to if it bricks.

Not sure about the ebook reader. I never use it. I bought the OS-72HR for video only.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:20 am 

Well, I'm basically just wanting the new ebook reader which is part of the 5.4 upgrade, right? Despite the fault I mention about splitting words, it's clearly better than the original SW--handling of fonts, background images, text colors, etc.--so, I may give the 5.4 a try. Isn't the Nationite 5.3 FW available to go back to if the Teclast 5.4 bricks it? Or, better yet: does the Nationite 5.3 HAVE the new ebook reader?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:52 am 

The Nationite version 5.3 is not to be used with the later players that have OTG. You can use the firmware, I believe, but won't have the OTG function. There is a Teclast version 5.3 with OTG, but as maderin1 states on his review, "not recommended for use as it renders the player inaccessible to the computer and needs a full repair to get working again. This does have an extra menu item for applications and also has OTG in the menu BUT supposedly does not work."

All you want to know about the OS-72HR: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13787&start=0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:37 am 

The Warrior Poet wrote:
The Nationite version 5.3 is not to be used with the later players that have OTG.

Well, this is where I get confused. I thought the Nationite 5.3 was the LATEST Nationite FW--is the FW that ships with the latest batch of OS-72HR players--and supports OTG...so, therefore, one could upgrade to 5.4 from Teclast. In one of the long OS-72 threads about FW, back in Nov., someone posts something like: "we have the latest firmware" available from Teclast, the 5.4...

So, it looks like this Teclast latest, with OTG, should be compatible with Nationite OTG-viable units, right?

At the very least, if Nationite 5.3 is what currently ships on Nationite players, then it logically follows that Nationite 5.3 certainly could be used "again" to put back on a player that might have gotten bricked by the Teclast 5.4, right? I mean, if Nationite 5.3 is what's shipping on players now, why can't it be used?

Can someone definitively chime in here?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:58 am 

original batch of players did not have OTG, a firmware was released viewtopic.php?f=55&t=14043 for these player (version 5.3)

next batch (and the one you will get) had OTG and required its own firmware, also called 5.3, this is what comes pre-installed

there has been no firmware release from nationite for the OTG version players and no original version released either so there is NO nationite firmware you can install on your OTG version player

teclast 5.4 i am 99.9% sure will work on the latest nationite players but as yet no one has tested to make sure, i cant as i am a first batch users

the 5.3 i linked above is not for your player and may not work, if i install an OTG version on my player (non-otg) it disables the USB port and i cant then connect to the PC anymore, i imagine the same will happen for you simply because the whole hardware and firmware arounf the USB has changed (to allow OTG to work) - so no, nationite 5.3 can not be used on your player

so

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Mini / Huawei G300 (just ordered)
  • Fav App: Strava, IMDB, Jewels
  • Portable Audio: currently none
  • Headphones PC: Brainwavz HM5
-------------------------------------------------------------
  • MP4nation webstore: Here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:39 am 

Thanks for the reply, maderin,

No wonder I've still been confused, mad: who wouldn't be!

:)

So, Raz doesn't even have a copy--or access to a copy--of the Nationite FW that's being released on current Nationite players? That seems odd.

So, what would I do--hypothetically--if I brick my player trying to put the Teclast 5.4 on it? (I suspect folks are just dyin' for me to try this...I just hope they're rootin' for me to succeed! :mrgreen: )

Will

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:43 am 

That's the whole problem. I myself want to try the Teclast 5.4, but, like I said, I have no firmware to go back to if it's buggy or if it bricks. I would have no problem trying it if I had the version 5.3 that it comes with, to go back to.

I actually asked that question already: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=16760

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:45 am 

'Poet, see my edit above your post...

Also, if there's a link to the TECLAST 5.3, that'd be O.K., as that supports OTG, I believe. I have the link to the 5.4. Mad: you got the link to the Teclast 5.3?

Edit: Off Topic: I just noted your post number, Poet, and went "woa!"...then scrolled up to check out mad's..."WOA!" :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:48 am 

I edited mine too, lol. Mine actually came with version 5.2.